Having been in this business for a long time I have come to the realization that lingerie is largely misunderstood. And since I am a bit nerdy, I love researching the ins and outs of everything including lingerie!
1. When you think about lingerie you probably think of lace and satin, all things pretty and delicate. But lingerie comes from the mid-19th century french word "linge" which simply means linen and now in modern french simply means underwear and is used to describe both men's and women's undergarments.
2. In the 19th century Lady Duff-Gordon was a pioneer in developing lingerie that freed women from the restrictive corsets. Thanks, girl!
3. During the First World War women found themselves filling in for men's work which created a demand for more practical, lighter, and more breathable fabrics.
4. In the 60's manufacturers such as Fredrick's of Hollywood, began to glamourize lingerie.
5. Victoria's Secret has a tragic story. Victoria's Secret was founded in 1977 by Roy Raymond who was inspired to open a lingerie store after being made to feel like a creep trying to purchase lingerie for his wife, Gaye, in a department store. The company earned $500,000 in its first year but just 3 years later was headed for bankruptcy. Les Wexner bought it in 1980 for 1 million dollars and by 1995 had built it into a 1.9 Billion dollar brand. Mr. Raymond sadly ended his life by jumping off the golden gate bridge in 1993.
6. The average woman wears 6 different bra sizes in her lifetime.
7. 80% of women are wearing the wrong bra size. (see our events page for our Truth About Bras Class)
8. White is the highest-selling color of lingerie in the world.
9. Women in the UK wear the largest bra sizes. China wears the smallest. The average breast size in America is 34DD.
10. The thong panty was invented by a man who thought exotic dancers were showing too much skin.